Thursday, February 18, 2010

proenza schouler


MORE BLACK!
proenza schouler f/w 2010 from nymag

in looking at and posting about shows, i don't consider myself as reviewing the shows or the work of the designer (especially because i frequently don't comment past 'i dig this or that'). i am with anna della russo on this - i think that is largely the role of the professionals. in this interview she talks about the difference between having personal style and being a fashion professional, and i think a lot of what she has to say is really relevant in the blogging age:

"Your style is part of your imagination, but beyond your style has to be a deep experience also, a deep knowledge about fashion. Sometimes I notice no one remembers the last ten years of fashion. We can say it’s a young profession, but if we already have 50 years full of designer, full of history, no one remembers at least the last five years."

i agree with her completely. it's not that bloggers don't have anything to offer - as someone who keeps up a blog myself, obviously i think there's a point to it - but i think that what most bloggers contribute is on the level of personal imagination and personal style, and that's different from the role of a true professional who has been going to shows for years, in the business of fashion and with a deep knowledge of fashion, designers and their work, history, etc gained from being in the industry. i think that this is what troubles me most about tavi sitting front row - does tavi have something to offer? absolutely. but i'm not sure that she (or a celebrity, or a socialite) merits a place above (or rather, below) a senior editor or another seasoned industry professional. on this blog i'm not seeking to contribute beyond my imagination, my style, what i want to wear and what interests me visually. when i post pictures from shows, it's what i would see myself wearing in my life, or what i think is interesting or aesthetically appealing.

another reason why anna della russo rocks my world:
"Do you have a boyfriend?
Yes, but he doesn’t live with me. There is no space because of the clothes."

rock on, lady.
tfs

No comments:

Post a Comment